Yoga for Headache
Headaches can be more complicated than most people realize. Different kinds can have their own set of symptoms, happen for unique reasons, and need different treatments.
Once you know the type of headache you have, you and your doctor can find the treatment that’s most likely to help and even try to prevent them.
Types of headaches
Many of us are familiar with some form of the throbbing, uncomfortable, and distracting pain of a headache. There are different types of headaches. This article will explain 10 different types of headaches:
- Tension headaches
- Cluster headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Allergy or sinus headaches
- Hormone headaches
- Caffeine headaches
- Exertion headaches
- Hypertension headaches
- Rebound headaches
- Post-traumatic headaches
- Certain foods, such as processed meats that contain nitrates.
- Changes in sleep or lack of sleep.
- Poor posture.
- Skipped meals.
Yoga for Headache
What is Yoga?
According to Bhagwad Gita Equanimity, Stability, Balance, Harmony, Equipoise is yoga i.e. Samatvam Yoga Ucchyate.
According to Sage Vashistha, yoga is the skill to calm down the mind i.e. Manah Prasanna up ayah yoga.
And according to Great Sage Maharishi Patanjali yoga is the cessation of mental modifications i.e. Yoga is to gain mastery over modifications of Mind.
According to Guruji Shubham Barwala Ji, yoga is the recognition of Mental Modifications the moment they arise in our consciousness.
According to Guruji Neeraj Medharthi, Ji Yoga is the state of perfect balance.
Evidence-based Yoga Therapy or Yoga for Headache
At Vedamrita our purpose is to bring the best and scientific research and evidence-based yoga therapy to our beloved readers and our students likewise and thereby increasing the general acceptability of Yoga therapy amidst the field of various treatments available. Below are a few research papers we find out related to Yoga for Headache.
Research Papers: –
Anheuser D, Klose P, Lauche R, Saha FJ, Cramer H. Yoga for Treating Headaches: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2020 Mar;35(3):846-854. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-019-05413-9. Epub 2019 Oct 30. PMID: 31667736; PMCID: PMC7080891.
Kumar A, Bhatia R, Sharma G, Dhanlika D, Vishnubhatla S, Singh RK, Dash D, Tripathi M, Srivastava MVP. Effect of yoga as add-on therapy in migraine (CONTAIN): A randomized clinical trial. Neurology. 2020 May 26;94(21):e2203-e2212. DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009473. Epub 2020 May 6. PMID: 32376640.
Panch Kosha Based Yoga Therapy or Yoga for Headache
Yogic Diet – Yoga for Headache
- Eat on time. Chew food properly.
- Sattvic home-cooked meals.
- Increase the intake of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables. Include high-fiber foods such as vegetables, cooked peas and beans (legumes), whole-grain foods, cereals, rice, and fresh fruit in your diet. Choose foods that are low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Keep the body well hydrated.
- Avoid processed and refined foods. Try to avoid nerve stimulants such as tea, coffee, alcohol, dark chocolate.
- Orange, yellow, and green vegetables, such as summer squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, and spinach
Asanas – 11 Yoga Poses for Headache
- Hastapadasana (Standing Forward Bend)
- Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
- Shishuasana (Child Pose)
- Marjariasana (Cat Stretch)
- Paschimottanasana (Two-legged Forward Bend)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose)
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
Kriyas – Yoga for Headache
- Jala neti/sutra neti
- Vamana dhauti
Pranayama – Yoga for Headache
- Do Cooling pranayamas
- Left nostril breathing – chandrabhedana
- Sectional breathing
Manomaya Kosha – Yoga for Headache
- Yoga Nindra
- Emotional counseling
- Mind Sound Resonance Technique (M.S.R.T.)
Vijnanamaya Kosha – Yoga for Headache
- Counseling about the disease, triggering factors, diet
Anandamaya Kosha – Yoga for Headache
- Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Spend time with family and loved ones.
Explore this Health Topic to learn more about Yoga for Headache, the role of yoga and yoga therapy for various diseases, and where to find more information regarding it.
Read more about Yoga for Headache.