Yoga for Constipation
What is Constipation
Constipation has become a common problem. So common that many of us tend to ignore it. But did you know that regular constipation can lead to pelvic diseases and stomach disorders? This makes tending to the problem extremely important.
Constipation: Symptoms and Causes
Constipation not just means no or little bowel movement. It, rather, makes its presence felt through a range of symptoms including:
- Infrequent or few bowel movements
- Straining while having a bowel movement
- Passage of hard or small stool
- Stomach ache and cramps, abdominal pain
- Bloated stomach
The root cause of this pool of symptoms is an unhealthy lifestyle, attributes of which include:
- Inappropriate work hours
- Less time for rest
- Intake of too much junk food
- A diet low on fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables
- Less intake of water
Yoga for Constipation
What is Yoga?
According to Bhagwad Gita Equanimity, Stability, Balance, Harmony, Equipoise is yoga i.e. Samatvam Yoga Ucchyate.
According to Sage Vashistha, yoga is the skill to calm down the mind i.e. Manah Prasanna up ayah yoga.
And according to Great Sage Maharishi Patanjali yoga is the cessation of mental modifications i.e. Yoga is to gain mastery over modifications of Mind.
According to Guruji Shubham Barwala Ji, yoga is the recognition of Mental Modifications the moment they arise in our consciousness.
According to Guruji Neeraj Medharthi, Ji Yoga is the state of perfect balance.
Evidence-based yoga therapy or Yoga for Constipation
At Vedamrita our purpose is to bring the best and scientific research and evidence-based yoga therapy to our beloved readers and our students likewise and thereby increasing the general acceptability of Yoga therapy amidst the field of various treatments available. Below are a few research papers we find out related to yoga for Constipation.
Research Paper: –
Lee TH, Kim SE, Park KS, Shin JE, Park SY, Ryu HS, Kim JW, Lee YJ, Cho YS, Park S; Constipation Research Group of The Korean Society of Neurogastroenterology and Motility. Medical Professionals’ Review of YouTube Videos About Exercises for the Constipation Relief. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2018 Dec 25;72(6):295-303. DOI: 10.4166/kjg.2018.72.6.295. PMID: 30642148.
Evans S, Lung KC, Seidman LC, Sternlieb B, Zeltzer LK, Tsao JC. Iyengar yoga for adolescents and young adults with irritable bowel syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Aug;59(2):244-53. DOI: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000000366. PMID: 25025601; PMCID: PMC4146428.
Yogic Diet – Yoga for Constipation
- Drink Cow milk.
- Eat Papaya.
- Eat on time. Chew food properly.
- Sattvic home-cooked meals.
- Increase the intake of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables. Include high-fiber foods such as vegetables, cooked peas and beans (legumes), whole-grain foods, cereals, rice, and fresh fruit in your diet. Choose foods that are low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Keep the body well hydrated.
- Avoid processed and refined foods. Try to avoid nerve stimulants such as tea, coffee, alcohol, dark chocolate.
Asanas – 5 Yoga Poses for Constipation
- Tiriyaka Tadasana
- Kati Chakrasana
- Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
- Ardha-Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spinal Twist Pose)
- Halasana (Plough Pose)
- Pavanmuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose)
- Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose)
Kriyas – Yoga for Constipation
- Jala neti/sutra neti
- Vamana Dhauti
- LSP(Most Imp)
- Kapalabhati 20-30 strokes per min
Pranayama – Yoga for Constipation
- Avoid cooling pranayama, bhastrika
- Right nostril breathing – suryabhedana
- Sectional breathing
Manomaya Kosha – Yoga for Constipation
- Yoga Nindra
- Emotional counseling
- Mind Sound Resonance Technique (M.S.R.T.)
Vijnanamaya Kosha – Yoga for Constipation
- Counseling about the disease, triggering factors, diet
Anandamaya Kosha – Yoga for Constipation
- Karma Yoga
Explore this Health Topic to learn more about Yoga for Constipation, the role of yoga and yoga therapy for various diseases, and where to find more information regarding it.
Read more about Yoga for Constipation